Library founded by Woman's Club





The Woman's Club of Whitpain opened the doors of the Library of Whitpain on January 18, 1967, in space donated by Dr. Leoni and Phillip Caruso, co-owners of property at Center Square, Rts 202 and 73.









In early July 1968, the library moved into the second floor of the 1895 school building located at Skippack Pike and School Road in Blue Bell so that facilities could be expanded.











In 1981, the Wissahickon School District sold the 1895 building to the Wissahickon Valley Historical Society. The Library of Whitpain rented part of the lower level of the Shady Grove School, moving there August 1, 1981.










In March of 1987, the WVPL Trustees were notified that the Whitpain Branch must vacate Shady Grove by August. Three days before the closing deadline, owners of the Leoni Building agreed to house the branch once again.










Finally, after several years of searching for an acceptable site, the library trustees signed an agreement of sale with Young's Regency Skating Rink in January 1992.  It was refurbished, and the Whitpain branch moved into its new (and present) home.